Monday 24 March 2008

Uni time!

Well, did I have a shock. There were a few £3 sit n gos in the first few weeks which I had a gander at. It was like a fish farm (is that even a word?). Needless to say I jumped on the bandwagon and did the same as there were no preflop raises and ended up cashing in one.
Then came the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of Matt Gamble and Isaac Blake. I didn't know what to make of them first but thought Matt was an arrogant bastard (I told him that when drunk! for the record we're very much in love now) but I knew they meant business. We set up a 1p/1p cash game, later increased to 1p/2p and played very frequently with Isaac who cleared up on almost every session. I'm about £20 up to date but play has been mediocre.

I then realised how much I needed to improve. Equity, implied odds, plus EV move....what the hell are they talking about? I turned into a loose aggressive player and eventually hit the society tournament, coming 2nd at the 2nd time of asking to Matt Gamble, playing pretty crazy like pushing A 10 into a flop of J94 with four people still in the pot. This led to the name 'Action Tony,' though I certainly didn't live up to the name when we finally got round to the house games a Keys' and the New Inn games. To be honest, I didn't play that badly in the first session of PL hold'em and got unlucky at times, such as when I raised 8 3 in middle position, told everyone I had 8 3, then wierdly the flop came 863. It ended up just Keys and me. He led out, I raised, he re-raised, and I eventually pushed thinking my hand was good. He turns over 8 6. That was that. I dropped two buy ins eventually but wasn't distraught at my play. Since then, I've been playing scared passive shit in those games which is particularly annoying. I'm probably down about £40-£50 in total.

Enter Pokerstars. I decided to put in 20 dollars mid way through the first term to see how I'd fare, and tried some sit n gos but my over developped agressiveness put a quick end to any chances of success. So I went (stupidly) to the 10/25 tables and shoved my entire bankroll on there, and managed to make it to 180 dollars through a combination of hideous rivers and a crazy image. I lost about 40 of it and then decided to withdraw, feeling a sense of accomplishment. Since then it has been mainly the 1p 2p cash games and a lot of reading/youtube and discussing that has set the ball rolling since these primitive days!. More on that in the next post.

Almost up to date...Tony x

No comments: